Saturday 28 November 2020

Another Night on the Bands...

Unlike my last night time operating session, tonight was a bit warmer at +4C.  I drove north of the city out into farmland and activated VE-0023, the Frontenac Arch Biosphere, for Parks on the Air.

It was a great night, band noise on 40m was not too bad, and I could hear all the stations calling me - 16 contacts were put in the log in 28 minutes.   I used my KX3 set at 10w, into my Wolf River Coil Mini and the 9.5 foot whip.  

Contacts were made to stations in ON, IA, SC, TX, GA, TN, ID, ND, CO, KS, and MN.  Furthest contact was to N5HO in Castle Rock, Colorado, 2,393 km distant.

As most of you will know, the propagation has been fantastic over the last week.  Tonight was no exception.  The SFI=110, SN=60, A Index=10, and K Index=2.  We are at the beginning of this new cycle, I wonder where the numbers will go to in three or four years?

I'll be out again tomorrow morning activating another local park.  I may as well, the weather is great for this time of year, and it will be hard to activate some parks once the snow begins to fly.....and that will more than likely be pretty soon.

Stay safe!!

2 comments:

  1. I would imagine with how the solar activity is lately you will have done very well on both days.
    73,
    Mike
    VE9KK

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Mike,
    It was simply fantastic. I actually had operators question how much power I was running as my signal reports were so good. I can't wait to see where the numbers go in a year or two.
    Hope you guys are well and staying safe down there!!
    73,
    Bill VE3FI

    ReplyDelete