Saturday 8 May 2021

A Quick Activation...

It was raining and 8C this morning.....sounds just like last weekend!!  So I decided to go to the Frontenac Arch Biosphere Reserve - VE-0023, just to the north of Kingston to do an activation.

This site has been activated before a couple of times, so I didn't think it would cause too much excitement if it came up on the air this morning, and I didn't think with the propagation we've had over the past few days I would get many contacts either.  Wrong on both counts.

I put 19 contacts in the log in 19 minutes using the KX3 with 10w and  20m and 40m hamsticks. 

Propagation at 0900 local was - SFI=72, SN=15, A Index=3, and K Index=2.

Contacts were made in FL NJ, SC, ON, NH, IN, MI, MA, IL, OH, NY, WV, and MD on 20m and 40m.

The highlight of this mornings activation was doing my very first Park to Park on CW.  I heard Bill, K4NYM, calling CQ on 20m from a park in Florida and I threw out my call and he came back to me.  Now what I thought!  Well, I won't say it was a perfect QSO, but we did manage to complete it and get the information past.  I hope he forgives me for my terrible CW.

1 comment:

  1. Good evening Bill, very nice surprise for POTA activation! Pulling off 19 contacts in 19 minutes is a very good feeling. Great work and looking forward to your other posts.
    73,
    Mike
    VE9KK

    ReplyDelete