Saturday 15 January 2022

A Cold Activation...

This weekend the Winter Support Your Parks event is taking place, and it coincided with probably the coldest weekend we have had yet this year.  It was -37C with the wind chill when I left for Lemoine Point, VE-5141.  Absolutely bone chilling.

The propagation, as I reported earlier in another post, was not forecasted to be very good, but it did improve enough for me to think I could squeeze in an activation.   The propagation numbers were:  SFI=83, SN=39, A Index=9, and the K Index=2.

Before I left home I checked both 20m and 40m which were very busy, with very little room between the big signals.  By the time I got to my site, 20 minutes later, the signals on 17m and 15m had totally gone, and those on 40m were quickly disappearing. So I set up on 20m and hoped for the best.

Once again it was my KX3 being used with a 20m Hamstick.  I used the Hamstick today for the simple reason it was the fastest option to get on the air, and get me out of the cold.

Now activating using QRP levels does have a disadvantage, and I knew that going in to this, but the killer today was not the power level, but the extremely deep QSB.  One minute a signal was S9 and the next it had disappeared completely never to be heard again.  

I must admit that when I set out this morning I thought, given the amount of POTA traffic on the bands that it wouldn't take too long to do this, but in the end it took me 30 minutes to make 21 contacts. That's pretty slow for me, even operating QRP.

Todays activation map is below.

Stay warm and safe out there!

2 comments:

  1. Excellent results considering it was freezing out so congrats on making the trip in the first place. Yes the QSB was there for sure, I was taking part in the NA QSO party and 20m was not too bad. When I when to 40m later in the day it a challenge to get contacts logged.
    73,
    Mike
    VE9KK

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mike, Thanks for visiting. Yes, I heard the thousands of CW stations all calling at 300 wpm on the bands last night. Way too fast for me to take part yet, perhaps in a few more years :-) Hopefully the bands will start to settle down once we get a little more into Cycle 25. One can only hope!
      73, Bill VE3FI

      Delete