Sunday 3 April 2022

A North American First...

I was very pleased to take part in a first for North America this past Saturday.  It was the first ever "Annual HEMA Day".  HEMA, stands for Hills Excluding Marilyns Award.  In the UK a Marilyn is a hill of any height with a drop of 150 metres or more on all sides, and as this scheme originated in the UK, that's the term they use.

To qualify a Hill for this award, must have a 100m prominence, meaning it sticks up above the surrounding land by at least 100m.

So far there are 196 Hills in Ontario that qualify for this award.  Most are fairly hard to access, but there are some that are fairly easy to activate.

On Saturday I found a local hill, spotted myself on 20m, and called CQ.  Well, to say it was a waste of time was perhaps an understatement!!  The bands were in very poor shape.  I guess I should have paid more attention to the propagation numbers before I left home......I probably would have stayed in bed.

The numbers were:  SFI=147, SN=109, A Index=22, and the K Index=4.  Yeah, I wasn't going to talk anywhere that morning.

I had set up some Scheds with a couple of UK stations, in order to do Hill to Hill contacts, but that was not to be.

Have a look at the HEMA Award Scheme HERE.  If you're interested in getting HEMA up and running in your State of Province, get hold of Rob at: newDXCC at hema.org.uk

Plans are already underway for the next HEMA Day, to be held on October 22nd, 2022.

Stay safe out there!

No comments:

Post a Comment