Sunday 4 June 2023

POTA Sunday...

It was a fast activation this morning after spending all day yesterday playing radio or doing radio "things".  The bands had changed since yesterday afternoon, and 40m was not much good at all.

Todays propagation was: SFI=165, SN=96, A Index=5, and the K Index=2.

I activated Parrotts Bay, VE-5142.  Unfortunately the place was full with about 50 people having large family gathering and picnic, and the place was overrun with small screaming children running all over the place with no adult supervision.  Not a good place for ground radials!

The radio for a change was my FT-817ND with my hamstick antennas. I started on 40m and it was very short, and I managed to put four of my usual customers in the log and then the band got very noisy and just disappeared.  I looked at the other bands, 20m was very busy and I couldn't find a free frequency to start calling on.  So I decided to move to 15m, and was lucky enough to get another eleven in the log before that band died as well.  By this time I was tired of the constant screaming of the children and decided to pack up and go home. To be honest I found it strange that 15m was that busy, normally it's dead.

Here's today's contact map:



All in all it was a great weekend.

Stay Safe Out There!!

No comments:

Post a Comment