Saturday 12 December 2020

A Night Out ...

It was far too nice to stay home last night......yeah, it's December in Canada and the evening temperature was still hovering around +7C (or 45F).....so, it was off to Fort Henry again for another late night POTA activation of the Kingston Fortifications, VE-4872.    

 

To be honest, I wasn't sure I would make any contacts given the state of the bands this week.  At 2359 UTC the propagation was:  SFI=83, SN=11, A Index=8, and the K Index=2.  Lot's of room for improvement there!


I made a 2m SSB contact with a local ham and then switched to 40m after sending out a spot.  Normally you have a response after your first CQ.  Not last night....it was 10 minutes of calling before I got a response.  I was starting to think it was not the night to be using the KX3 with its 10 mighty watts.  The calls came in small spurts, and with 19 in the log I shut down and went for a coffee.   


Contacts came from ON, NB, MI, IA, OH, TX, WI, FL, AL, SC, and IN.  Not too bad for 10w into a Wolf River Coil Mini with a 9.5' whip.  


I'm probably going to get once last activation in before it gets too cold....but you just never know.  

 

No comments:

Post a Comment