Sunday 12 December 2021

Not Your Typical Sunday...

Last night, December 11th, we had probably the biggest wind storm hit us in the sixteen years I have lived here.  We had sustained winds of 80 kph, and gusts over a 100 kph.  There were lots of power outages, trees down over the roads, and even a barn roof blew off and landed on the railway tracks halting rail travel between Toronto and Montreal for many hours.

This morning the clean up began as power was slowly restored and roads were re-opened, but parts of the city looked worse for wear.  Luckily, my house didn't lose any power or suffer any damage, and my antennas even managed to stay up in the air.

It was the turn of the Marshlands Conservation Area, VE-5143, to be activated today, and I chose 20m to start with.  Twenty metres was in great shape, and in no time I had I4DRY, and OK1IWS in the log.  Not bad for 10w from the KX3 into a 20m Hamstick.  After a short while it seemed I had worked 20m out, so I QSY'ed to 40m and picked up another 15 contacts before I went QRT.

I put 35 contacts in the log in 30 minutes.  It was nice to work Puerto Rico, CA and WA as well today.  NB and SK also made it into my log.  

Propagation today was: SFI = 77, SN = 0, A Index = 5, and the K Index = 1.  This was my 117 POTA activation of the year, and I'm hoping to get to 120 before the end of the month.......I don't think I'll have a problem doing that 😁

Stay safe out there!

Today's activation map.

No comments:

Post a Comment