Friday 3 December 2021

Portable Antennas...

I've had several people email me recently asking what antennas, other than my hamsticks, I use for POTA and portable operating. It must be admitted that over the past few months I've got lazy and only used the hamsticks...mainly for the convenience.

There are several different portable wire antennas in my rucksack.  The following are a few of my favourites, but please remember, antennas are like opinions...everyone has one and everyone has their favourite.

A few years ago I was having some trouble getting a Bandspringer Midi antenna I had bought from Sotabeams to tune up with sufficiently low SWR....the SWR I had was over 25:1 over all bands and nothing I did would change that fact.  It just wasn't happening, and the thing was, to me, completely unusable so it was put away in a drawer.  Shortly after this I was watching a video of Steve, WG0AT, operating SOTA from Mount Herman in Colorado, and I noticed he was using a simple wire antenna.

I emailed Steve about it, and he told me it was a 41' radiator and a 17' counterpoise, and with his KX2 he could tune it on all the bands he needed.  No balun required, just a binding post to BNC converter, and you're in business.  That afternoon I took the Sotabeams antenna and spent a few hours doing surgery, and transformed it into what I now call my "WG0AT Antenna". It works like a charm and I have made hundreds of contacts with it on all bands 40m through 6m.

Probably the most used antenna in my collection is a 40m EFHW.  This was built with a LnR Precision transformer that I found hiding in a drawer one day.  This antenna works on 40m through 6m and I have never had any bad SWR issues with it.

Just 63' of wire, no counterpoises, and you're on the air.  I used this antenna at Chillycon this year as my campsite antenna, and made over 200 contacts with it all over Europe and North America. A great antenna.

My 20/40 linked dipole has also seen a lot of use in the past, but not so much lately.  This was built from plans found on Google, and it does match and work very well on 10m/15m/20m/40m. It is a bit of a pain to put up, but it is a solid performer. I plan on re-making this antenna out of lighter gauge wire as at the moment it is far too heavy to carry.

It is well worth the time and effort to make one.

The Packtenna Mini is the only store bought wire antenna in my possession.  It works very well.

This is a 9:1 transformer and 66' of wire.  The instructions state that you don't need a radial....but....I find that I must use ground radials with it as well as an RF isolator to get the SWR down to were I want it.  I have made a set of three radials on a large alligator clip that I use with it.

To be very honest, while this antenna works extremely well, it doesn't work any better than any of my home-brewed antennas, and it wasn't cheap to buy either. 

So there you have it, my wire antenna collection - and my thoughts on them.  I very rarely use them for POTA activations these days as they all need a portable mast or a tree, and in the crowded conditions of some parks, it's just far easier, and safer, to use the hamsticks.

Stay safe out there!

No comments:

Post a Comment