Tuesday 7 March 2023

A Quick POTA Activation...

Yesterday I thought I would sneak off to the local park and do a quick POTA activation, the weather was nice...and as a bonus the temperature was above zero, in fact it was +3C and no wind !!

The propagation numbers were: SFI=180, SN=155, A Index=22, and the K Index=2.  Not the best of numbers, but I've activated in much worse at the bottom of Cycle 24.

So it was off to Lemoine Point, VE-5141, which is about 15 minutes from my QTH, and surprisingly it was very busy for a weekday.  It took me longer to find a good parking spot than it did to get the park activated.

First up was 10m, and while the band was quiet, there was very little traffic on it.  I ended up with five contacts there before moving on to 40m, which while very noisy, managed to scare up 14 more contacts for me.  

Radio was the KX3 at 10w, and the antenna was a 10m or 40m hamstick mounted on a mag-mount on the roof of the van.  

Here's the contact map.....I'll let you guys figure out which were the 10m and which were the 40m contacts!


Stay Safe Out There!

No comments:

Post a Comment