Sunday 16 April 2023

A Good Weekend...

My trip to Portland Bay Conservation Area went very well.  The bands were very busy with all the US State QSO Parties, and the Ontario QSO Party, but it was also POTA's Annual Spring Support Your Park event.

The Conservation Area is actually quite small, but it is very picturesque, and right on off the highway.  It took me 45 minutes to drive there from home, and Kieran VA3KS, was already there set up, waiting for me when I arrived.

First up was some 2m and 70cm simplex work that netted us some contacts, as did a quick visit to 6m.  Kieran, with 15 contacts in his log, left and went north a few kilometres to Mill Pond Conservation Area, and activated there.  I stayed at Portland and made more contacts on 10m, 12m, 15m, 17m, 40m, and 80m.  20m was just wall-to-wall signals and I didn't waste my time going there to try and fight the big guns for a few contacts.

The propagation was up and down, and the QSB was deep and causing the signals to go from S9 to S0 in milliseconds.  The numbers were: SFI=174, SN=151, A Index=7, and the K Index=2.  No rare DX was worked, in fact no DX was worked at all.  My furthest contact was with Tim WI6NG, in California.  

Kieran came back to Portland in time for us to pack up for lunch.  We went to the Portland Restaurant and some great food, if you're ever in Portland I highly recommend the place.

When we returned to the Conservation Area, another ham friend, Ranson VE3RCD, from Smiths Falls was waiting for us.  He had seen our note on the POTA spotting page about being QRT for lunch and had driven down to see us.  Ranson and I stuck around for a few more hours while Kieran left for home.  

It was disappointing to only be able to put 44 contacts in my log in the 6 hours I was there, but it was well worth it...just being able to relax and play radio in the great weather was reward enough.

As usual the KX3 and my Hamstick collection worked flawlessly together.

Here's the days contact map:



My setup in the back of my van:


Stay Safe Out There!!

No comments:

Post a Comment