Sunday 2 April 2023

Rough Propagation Today...

It was a windy -13C when I left the house this morning, a lot colder than what I was expecting. It's been nearly 2 weeks since I was out to do a POTA activation....so you know it just had to happen!

Today I chose to go to VE-5305, the Frontenac County Courthouse National Historic Site. The Court House was built between 1855 and 1858, and it is a beautiful old limestone building.

This was my third activation here, and it's always a difficult activation, the noise floor is perpetually through the roof, and today was no exception. I started off on 40m, and had to work with a S7 band noise.

I only made 16 contacts today, and it took 5 bands to do that.  Contacts were made on 70cm, 2m, 12m, 15m, and 40m. This was a record activation for band changes for me, and the first time I activated on the 70 cm and 12m bands.   Being the weekend I stayed away from 20m as it was extremely busy with nets of great importance.....or so I have been told on air.

Propagation numbers today were:  SFI=125, SN=23, A Index=13, and the K Index=3.  Let's all hope those numbers improve over the next few days!

I used 2 HF antennas today, my hamsticks, and a 9.5' Buddipole whip for 12m, and that's going to get more use.

Here's todays contact map:


Stay Safe Out There!


No comments:

Post a Comment