Thursday 24 October 2024

A 10m Day - Part 3...

There was not supposed to be a "Part 3" to my 10m adventures, but I had such a great day yesterday I couldn't resist!

It was one of those perfect fall days, it was 19C (66F) outside, under a beautifully deep blue sky.  The local trees are well into their change of colour these days, with brilliant flashes reds and yellows dotting the views all over the city.

A few days a month I get to leave my house, take my time, and not have to worry about things. My Mother-in-Law lives with us; she suffers from Dementia, and can't be left alone at all. Yesterday was our respite care day and a PSW looks after her allowing my wife and I some "us" time. The break is always very welcomed.

I decided to spend my time at Fort Henry National Historic Site and do yet another POTA activation.  It's been a while since I was at Fort Henry, it's normally a very busy place, but as it was a week day, yesterday wasn't busy at all.

The only spot left at Fort Henry to activate from these days is the parking lot - all other roads around it are either closed off or have no parking signs on them.  Seeing that there was the only one choice to operate from, it was the KX3 and a 10m Hamstick kind of day!

Propagation was "interesting".  The SFI=176, SN=94, the A Index=8, and the K Index=3.  There was also some very deep QSB throughout the whole time I was on site.

First in the log was Kurt ON4CCN at 1522 UTC.  The last station, Sean KI5UCO/qrp, went into the log at 1732 UTC.  I ended up with 62 contacts in the log, with 22 DX stations, and 13 Park 2 Parks included.  It was just a fantastic day on the radio.  All my contacts were on 10m, and I really enjoyed the several mini-pileups I had throughout it.

Here's the contact map:


I'm hoping to do this again next Sunday....if the bands stay as good as they have been.

Stay Safe Out There!


 

No comments:

Post a Comment