Monday 15 August 2022

Buddipole Parts, Part 2...

Yesterday morning, Don VE3MNE, and John VE3WTN, and I, drove down to Lake Ontario Park here in Kingston, and did a bit of antenna experimenting.

I took the opportunity to have another look at the Buddipole VersaHub I recently acquired.  This time, instead of using a 17' MFJ collapsible whip, I used my Wolf River Coil Silver Bullet Mini, with a 9.5' sectional whip from an old Canadian Army PRC-25 radio, that works great with it.

I also used two 17' semi-elevated radials....most of them where on the ground, not in the air.

Once we got it tuned with an analyzer, we had it down to 1.2:1 across both 20m and 40m.  So I now have a good option for a second antenna during POTA activations....which is what started this quest in the first place.

To give this set-up a good test I managed to make four quick 20m QRP contacts using the antenna.  First up was Keith, KD5JGD in San Antonio, Texas, 2550 Km away.  Next up was Dan, W0DAN in Marietta, Georgia, 1347 Km away.  Third was Ben, K0BJJ, in Newton, Iowa, 1366 Km away, and lastly was John, KE0VPA, in Collins, Iowa, 1381 km away.  Not too bad for 10w with the KX3.

Propagation was: SFI=124, SN=119, A Index=10, and the K Index=2.

I'm interested in seeing what I can do with just the VersaHub and Hamsticks, so that will be the next experiment I do....stay tuned!

John VE3WTN, with his Xiegu X6100 Radio


Don VE3MNE, contemplating life with his Analyzer

Stay Safe Out There!!

No comments:

Post a Comment