Sunday 14 May 2023

Another Day in the Parks...

It was another beautiful day here in Eastern Ontario, lots of sun and blue sky.   Todays activation was VE-6003, the Great Lakes Waterfront Trail.  The trail runs along the Ontario shores of the Great Lakes from the Quebec border to the Manitoba border, and luckily for us here in Kingston, passes through four of our local POTA Parks.

Today, for the first time in a long time, I did not use my Hamsticks.  Instead I used my tactical mini SOTA pole and a QRP EFHW antenna cut for 40/20/15/10m.  Along with the antenna was a 1:1 Common Mode Choke.  The antenna and choke came from Tim, N9SAB, in Waukegan, IL.  The antenna also works very well on 17m and 6m.  I know it doesn't load at all on 12m, but I have never tried it on 30m.  The support pole is 6 metres high, or 19'6".

To be very honest I did not see any difference between using the hamsticks or the EFHW.  I suppose the only difference was the better signal reports I received today,  but as you will see from the map below, there was no real difference from where my signals normally reach with just the hamsticks.

Propagation today was:  SFI=144, SN=109, A Index=13, and the K Index=2.

Here's todays contact map:


Stay Safe Out There!!

No comments:

Post a Comment