Friday 28 January 2022

Good Day Activating...

It was a very cold day here yesterday, so the new PackTenna linked dipole didn't make it out of the container.  Once again I used the 20m hamstick with a mag-mount on the roof of the van to save time out in the cold.  It was -20C without the wind, and the wind was absolutely howling.

Equipment, as usual, was my KX3 pumping out 10 screaming watts into the 20m Hamstick.

Propagation was good when I started.  SFI=102, SN=71, A Index=10, K Index=2.  Shortly after I went QRT the bands died within minutes.

As you can see from the map, 20m started long and as I logged contacts it started to shorten up, and eventually disappeared.

My Bioenno battery certainly doesn't like the cold, and I have noticed that it will remain good for about 40 minutes in deep cold.  

Yesterday I shut things down after 20 minutes with 27 contacts in the log.  The battery was still fine, but it's probably time to re-charge it.

I will have both batteries charged up ready for Winter Field Day this weekend.  I'm planning on doing dual POTA and WFD activations...hopefully that will drum up more business for the log book. 😋

Stay warm and safe out there!

3 comments:

  1. I've noticed a couple of times that you use a hamstick for 20M, and I must admit it's a lot easier to deploy in this kind of wx here in Ontario! Curious if you use a counterpoise (and if so, 1/4 wavelength out the window?) or simply the car's roof?
    Thanks es 73 de VE3LR

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Larry,
      Thanks for the visit. I don't use any counterpoise on the hamsticks, other than the roof of my Dodge Caravan. I use a 5" mag-mount which works very well. I originally used a 3" mag-mount which didn't work very well.
      Cheers & 73,
      Bill VE3FI

      Delete
    2. Thanks for the tip Bill, I didn't know of/or think of the difference in mag-mounts so I'm glad I told you me that also. Appreciate it much, enjoy remote operating and get ready for (maybe!) an end to COVID! 73, Larry VE3LR

      Delete