Wednesday 13 April 2022

Spooky Activation...

It's not very often I go to cemeteries, in fact I can't remember the last time I did.......before last night.  

Sometime last year Cataraqui Cemetery National Historic Site was added to the POTA list as VE-5300.  To be honest, at the time most of the hams in town thought it was kind of disrespectful to do that, myself included.

But then you hear the stories from the old guys about how many hams are actually buried there, so I decided to bite the bullet and activate it.

Let me tell you, it's a very spooky spot at night.  Yep, I did a late shift activation starting at 0001 UTC....but I won't do that again.  In fact I don't think I will ever activate there again, once was enough, thank you very much.

It took me 21 minutes to put 25 contacts in the log.  40m was just hopping, yet the QSB was bad and the propagation numbers weren't the best:  SFI-96, SN-24, A Index-12, and the K Index-3.   It was interesting that in the cemetery I had a constant S9 noise floor, so I know many stations who couldn't make it through the noise floor were missed.  The contacts made were all solid S9 plus.  

I must admit I was very uncomfortable there, it's not really the place to play ham radio, so I closed down with the 25 contacts and went home.

Here's last night's 40m contact map:

Stay safe out there!!

No comments:

Post a Comment