Sunday 13 August 2023

Good Bands...

The HF bands were not too bad today.....for a change!  For the first time in over a month I went out and did a POTA activation, while I won't win any prizes for the number of contacts I made, it was still fun. My big issue today was learning how to operate in the cab of the new truck, it's not a roomy as my old van, and I can see this might be an issue deep in the cold winter months. But we have time to see how we can best operate comfortably in it.

Propagation numbers today were:  SFI=148, SN=78, A Index=8, and the K Index=0.  There was very, very, deep QSB on all the signals, especially those on 20m and 40m.

I'm hoping to get out again tomorrow and see how things go.  Instead of hamsticks I'm planning on using my new 33' mast, and the new hitch mount I bought for the truck.

This mast will give me several wire antenna options to use, and it should still be usable in the winter with snow on the ground.  Tomorrow I'm planning on using a 29' vertical with a 9:1 unum and a couple of 17' ground radials to see what I can do with that.

Stay tuned for that write up.


Here's todays contact map:


Stay Safe Out There!!

No comments:

Post a Comment