Wednesday 8 November 2023

Saturday at Portland Bay...

I had four great POTA activations last Saturday. The weather was nice and dry in Portland, and the propagation even behaved for a few hours. I had arranged to meet up with Kieran VA3KS there, and we had a great time, and lots of good radio contacts.

I started the morning on 40m, and surprisingly I worked my usual "customers", and even with the 45w amp in use, it didn't seem to make that much of a difference to who I was working distance wise. After 15 contacts on 40m Eric VE3DN, texted me and told me to get up on 10m, and what a time I had there.  

In the end I finished up with 11 European stations in the log, all on 10m. IK1GPG in Italy, SP8DJY in Poland, EA2CCG, EA4TL, and EA1BUL in Spain, 2E0VRX and M7CBI in the UK, F4ILH and F4FTJ in France, DL3LJ in Germany, and PD1CW in the Netherlands. That's my best day of DX in a long time. So it looks like the small amp is working very well indeed when it comes to DX, and it looks like it really does allow me to punch my signal out that bit further.

Then it was off to Mill Pond Conservation Area, a small site about 15 minutes further north of Portland. This is a very strange site, and it gives off some creepy vibes....everyone who has operated there has said the same thing. It was after lunch by now and contacts were getting harder to get. It took me about 20 minutes to get 16 contacts in the log, after which I packed up and started the hour long drive back to Kingston.

Propagation for the day was: SFI-156, SN-82, A Index-4, and the K Index-1. The weather, while sunny, was pretty cold, it was 3C so it was a good job I was dressed warmly. Well, at least it wasn't snowing!

Below are my contact maps for the day.

North American Contacts


European Contacts

Stay Safe out There!

No comments:

Post a Comment