Wednesday 3 April 2024

New Piece of Gear...

I picked up a new piece of equipment last week, an ABR Industries RF Choke.  I'm very happy with the choke, it's built extremely well - like a tank, it's about 18" long and has seven series 31 Current Ferrites. The Ferrites are covered with tough heat shrink, and it does the job as advertised......but I'm NOT happy with the hidden costs to get it here.

When I purchased this item from ABR Industries they charged me an additional $30 for shipping, which was almost two-thirds of the base price.  OK, I need the gear, so I'll swallow the cost and purchase it.

What I did not count on was that they shipped it via UPS, and that company charged me an additional $47.95 to deliver it to my door, after I'd already paid ABR for delivery! Delivery charges have now come very close to being twice the actual cost of the piece of equipment. So this is the last piece of gear I will get from ABR Industries as they seem to only ship via UPS.

As I stated, it's a well built piece of equipment, and does a great job, but it's not worth anywhere near the total price I have had to pay to get it.

Stay Safe Out There!

4 comments:

  1. For the price you payed for it you could have build several yourself. Unfortunately this is the way it goed these days. 73, Bas

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Bas!! Yes, you're right, I could have built several for what I paid for it. Thanks for visiting Bas. de VE3FI

      Delete
  2. In the past I have had the same issues with items from from outside of Canada. I have been dinged with Duty, broker fees and so on. I agree the shipping can sometimes be the same cost or more than the item you are purchasing. I have narrowed my purchases down to one company (DX Engineering) the shipping is the same as elsewhere but the price at check out is the price you pay. I have never had any hidden costs. If they do not have an item they are very happy to recommend a place. I have done that as well and had no hidden issues.
    73,
    Mike
    VE9KK

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mike! Yep, I normally use DX Engineering these days, way better service from what I've had from other suppliers. They just didn't have what I wanted this time. Thanks for the visit! de VE3FI

      Delete