Monday 8 July 2024

Great Day on the Bands...

This past Sunday I decided to drive to the Thousand Islands National Park and activate CA-0099 for POTA.  This was a new site for me, in fact I have never driven through the park before, and I highly recommend that if you can, do it.

It was an absolutely beautiful day, blue skies and 23C (74F) and because the site was on the river, the humidity was very low which made it very comfortable.

Propagation was pretty good, SFI=166, SN=119, A Index=3, and the K Index=1. However, there was quite a bit of deep QSB during the day and I know that cost me a couple of contacts by the end of the activation.  Stations would be S9+ and a few seconds later would disappear for good.

Because it was a weekend the usual LIDS were out and about, you know.....the tuner-uppers and the whistlers, all of whom seem to come to your specific frequency just to play their silly games.  I didn't let them bother me, I just carried on calling CQ and had a blast doing it.

When the SSB contacts died down I made a few contacts with my new portable key. It's made by Putikeeg, a company I had never heard of before. The key is great, it has a very smooth action, and the grip is perfect.  I'm enjoying using it, and it wasn't that expensive either.

Contact wise I have done a lot better, but I put 36 contacts in the log.  It wasn't a contest, and I took my time and had fun - which is what you're suppose to do.

Here's the contact map:


Stay Safe Out There !!

No comments:

Post a Comment