Monday 29 March 2021

Quiet Bands...

While the HF conditions weren't too bad this weekend for the CQ SSB Contest, the bands certainly were not busy, but there was a bit of fairly deep QSB around.  In fact I simply carried on chasing POTA stations throughout Saturday, and didn't give the contest much thought......that was until I decided to pay a visit to 15m around 1600 local time.

What did I find on 15m at that time of day?  A cornucopia of DX stations all quietly and calmly calling CQ......and nobody answering them.

So in a period of about fifteen minutes I managed to work:

ZM4T, VK4KW, VK3IO, LU5FC, PT5J, HI3T, C6AGU, OA4SS, 3E3E, and TI1T.   

Not too shabby for 90w and an EFHW antenna.  Of course the highlight for me was the NZ station and the two Aussies.  I haven't had any of those countries in my log for at least three years, if not longer.   So, perhaps the bands are slowly getting better, and better days of propagation are ahead of us after all.

Stay safe out there!!

2 comments:

  1. Well done, worked ZM4T on 40m and 20m. 15m was rarely open here, however worked a few nice DX like ZD7, ZS. In between I worked A25RU on 15m CW. Did not hear VK at all in this part of the world. 73, Bas

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Bas, it sounds like you made a few good contacts as well!! From what I hear, 15m was open most of the day on both Saturday and Sunday, and some good contacts were made there. Thanks for visiting, and I hope you guys are staying safe!!

      Delete