Sunday 23 May 2021

What A Night...

Saturday was a great night. It was our Clubs monthly HF QRP Sprint, and I decided to drive to Fort Henry and do a POTA activation at the same time.  I thought I may do well there, and I was not disappointed at all.

Propagation has not been very good around here for the past month.  The bands have been very noisy and have had a great deal of very deep QSB.  

Last night the propagation numbers were:
SFI=75, SN=13, A Index=5, and K Index=2.  We also had some deep QSB.

I used my KX3 at 10w into a 40m Hamstick mounted with a mag-mount on the roof of my van.  40m was up and down, one minute it was going long, and the next it was extremely short....so you never knew what you were going to get after you called CQ.

The Sprint runs from 1900 to 2100 local time here in Ontario, and for those two hours I hardly stopped entering stations in my logbook, it was just insane at times.  

At 2100 I shut down with 75 contacts in the log, from 22 different Provinces or States.  It was an excellent time, and I must do it again soon.

Stay safe out there!

No comments:

Post a Comment