Tuesday 1 June 2021

May, a busy month...

I just looked at my calendar for the month of May, counted up my POTA activations and discovered I did 15 separate activations.  Of those activations, 5 of them had never been activated before.

During those activations I put over 400 contacts in my log. Now 400 may not look like a big number, but when you consider I only do POTA as a QRP station with 10w into a hamstick, held on to the roof of my van with a 5" mag-mount, it's not too shabby a number.

So far June is shaping up to be a quiet month for activities, especially now that the Rideau Bike Tour has been cancelled for the second year in a row due to Covid.  

I haven't made any plans for this years ARRL Field Day yet, I'm going to see what the rest of my ham buddies are going to do first.  But if I do participate this year, it will be as a QRP station.

The decision last year by the ARRL to temporarily modify the rules was, in my humble opinion, an absolute disaster. It might just well have been any other contest weekend.  The people who actually participated in the real SPIRIT of Field Day had absolutely no chance at all. They were getting completely blown away by the D and E class stations running large home based antennas and amplifiers. That's all you heard. Looking through my log, but I would say easily 95% of the contacts I made were Class D and E. 


This year, to appease the large number of hams who complained about the D and E class stations last year, the ARRL have ruled that these classes can only run a maximum of 150w.  Yeah...well, let's see how many of them play by the rules this year...I'm not going to hold my breath.


Stay safe out there!

No comments:

Post a Comment