Monday 27 June 2022

Field Day - the aftermath...

What a weekend!!   After the last two years worth of Field Days with the hundreds of high power 1D stations taking part, this year was very different.

It was a 90 minute drive to our field day location and the weather was just perfect.  It took us no time to set up the two screen tents we would operate from, and the rest. of the camp.  I managed to get one antenna up by late Friday afternoon, which allowed me to chase some POTA stations that evening.  it was a good test of the system.

In the end I ended up with two antennas in the air, a 40m EFHW, which was set up as a Sloper, pointing west, and a 20m vertical (shown to the left).  Both worked very well, especially the sloper.

The propagation on Saturday was: SFI=115, SN=60, A Index=8, and the K Index=3.  Not the best, but better than we were advertised to get.  It was as 28C and we had a good breeze blowing on Saturday to keep the bugs away as they were just horrendous.

At 1800 UTC the bands exploded as Field Day kicked off, and it was only seconds before I had my first contact in the log.  I found that going after the very loud signals to start with really increased my QSO count, I saved the weak stations for Sunday morning when they were getting desperate for contacts and were listening for any new one they could hear.  40m was my go-to band, and I worked the majority of my contacts there.  However, early Saturday evening the propagation went to hell and as a result 40m dried up.

I decided to try 15m, which was a good idea as I made a dozen contacts there, including a solid contact to the southern part of Argentina.  Not too shabby for 5w!!

The propagation numbers for Saturday evening into Sunday were:  SFI=108, SN=60, A Index=16, and the K Index=5.  Not too good at all.

Over the course of Field Day I logged 77 contacts, all 5w SSB QRP.  The interesting part is that after my complaints about the huge number of 1D stations over the past two years, I only worked three 1D stations all weekend, I just didn't hear them.  I did manage to work a large number of club stations with multiple operators...just like the pre-covid days!  And that's a good thing. Maybe we've turned a corner and are slowly getting back to normal?

All-in-all it was great weekend, and all of us there had no problems at all operating at QRP levels.  

I'm hoping it will improve some more before next Field Day!

My station, with the KX3

Don, VE3MNE, not believing the
propagation numbers Saturday evening!

1 comment:

  1. A very nice run down of the weekend and it goes to show that the space weather numbers are only one factor to consider. At this end I passed on FD as on the East coast here we have had a very wet June and the FD weekend was forecast to be very warm and sunny which it was. So I had to get some very needed outdoor projects done. Oh and if I was in the fray for FD I would had been one of the dreaded 1D setups. I sold my KX3 last year (looking back bad move) so my only FD radio is the 7610 and it's not really a take outside rig.
    Thanks for the FD run down.
    73,
    Mike
    VE9KK

    ReplyDelete