Thursday 27 October 2022

Nice Day Out in the Park...

Today was a great day to go out and play radio in the park.  It was only +9C (48F) here in Collins Bay today, but the sky was a very deep blue, and was absolutely perfect.  This is probably one of the last nice days before the winds and rain arrive for the Autumn.

Propagation today was: SFI=122, SN=72, A Index=5, and the K Index=3.  I had some QSB issues, but the majority of my troubles today was QRM.  People just don't listen before they tune up and press transmit.  One has to wonder how much of it was/is deliberate.

Today was supposed to be just a quick activation of Lemoine Point, VE-5141, but the pile up never stopped for the 30 minutes I was there.  As it was supposed to be a quick one I just used my 20m and 40m hamsticks with a mag-mount on the roof of my van....and the radio was my trusty KX3 set at a whopping 10 watts.

Starting on 40m, which was supposed to have poor conditions, I put 10 contacts in the log in eight minutes.  Not too shabby for a QRP activation.  The remaining 20 contacts were all done on 20m.  

Here's today's contact map:



And......here's the forecasted solar weather for the next few days:



Stay Safe Out There!!




1 comment:

  1. Very nice job on the activation and yes ham radio can surprise us at times with contacts. As for QRM when I am in the 1 hour mini CW contests on Monday, Wednesday and Friday I have the same issue happen. I just spin the dial a bit to the left or right and forget about it. If I have been spotted I try not to spin the dial to much. If the QRM is on purpose then I find they follow me.
    73,
    Mike
    VE9KK

    ReplyDelete