Saturday 13 January 2024

Friday in the Park...

It was a nice day yesterday....for January, and around this part of Canada.  It was a balmy -5C under cloudy grey skies, but it wasn't snowing or raining!

The days propagation was the best I've seen in a long time, and that's what gave me the kick to get out and play radio.  The propagation was: SFI=193, SN=180, A Index=6, and the K Index=0. There was a bit of QSB out there, but it wasn't too bad.

First up was Manuel EA2DT, and he was quickly followed by Jose EA1BUL.  These two operators always seem to find me when I'm out in a park.  I did have one interesting thing happen, I was working KI5MM, Lee in Texas, and I became aware of a very faint station under him also talking on the frequency. Up to now I had had no interference so I was a bit surprised.  Then it hit me, I had called for the Texas station by asking for the "Mike" station, and back came Lee.  However, David M0YDB must have thought I was calling him. Anyway I finished with Texas and called for any UK stations, and back came David again to make sure he was in my log.

Radio was my usual KX3 set at 10w, and the antenna was a 15m Hamstick on the roof of my truck. I put 37 contacts in the logbook in 30 minutes, so I was very pleased with that. My plan was to go out again today, but an overnight snow storm put an end to those plans.  We also have another large snow storm coming in overnight tonight, so it looks like there will be no radio in the park on Sunday either.

Here's the contact map for the day:


Be Well, and Stay Safe Out There!

No comments:

Post a Comment