Friday 20 January 2023

In Todays Mail...

An interesting package arrived in the mail today. It was addressed to me....but it had no return address on it, and even more mysterious was the fact there was not even a note inside the package. It arrived as a surprise and completely anonymous.

So, what was in the package you ask?  Well, that's where it gets interesting. It was a 1878 Jerome Redding & Company CW set. The set comprises of a full-sized camel back brass key on a jappened base and a sounder. It's stamped with the Jerome Redding & Co mark, and a resistance rating of 4 ohms. So it was designed for use with a single 1.5 volt cell.

The original cost was $4.20 in US dollars, or about $148 today in 2023.

Here is the drawing of it in the 1880 company catalogue:


And.....here are pictures of the actual machine on my desk today:



As I stated above, I have no idea who sent this to me, but Thank You Very Much!!!!  This will be the centrepiece of my key collection.

No comments:

Post a Comment