Yesterday I discovered that both QRP Afield and QRP to the Field had decided to stop their contests. To show you how quietly these shut down, QRP Afield didn't even post a comment on the fact there would be no further contests until after the 2025 event when hams sent in logs, only to be told there was no contest that year and wouldn't be any in the future. I was told the uploaded logs simply went into the garbage can.
QRP to the Field at least posted after the 2026 contest that this would be the last year the contest would be held. Low participation numbers was one of the excuses mentioned, as well as the proliferation of POTA and State/Provincial QSO Parties which now offered a QRP category.
I think the issue here is the fact that neither QRP Afield, or QRP to the Field, had any social media footprint. No Facebook, YouTube Channel, Twitter account, Instagram, or even a Groups.io site. How do you let hams know these niche contests exist if there is no way of getting the word out, other than a couple of very tired looking websites that maybe get updated every third year or so?
I'm equally surprised that no other QRP Club has stepped forward and offered to take over these two contests. With a good, solid, social media presence and a modern website, those two events could be made to be viable again. One only has to look at the way Winter Field Day took off after their modern website was built, and they added a Facebook site as well.
Any Takers??
Stay Safe Out There!!


Yes very interesting about CANparks as I had an email just last week asking if I would feature them on my blog and give out some info about them out there. I did check it out and seemed a very needed site in Canada but as you said it just dropped off the map. I am thinking some reasons should be posted as they did have 500 plus who joined.
ReplyDelete73,
Mike
VE9KK
Hi Mike, I received the same email from Stuart, and I did post an article on CANParks and the new French program, PARC's. When it disappeared from the internet I removed the article. It would be nice to know what happened!! Hope you're well. 73, Bill VE3FI
DeleteI just wanted to post a link that explains what happen to CANparks. Now I say that as I have not read it yet but you can visit it and give it a read. I plan to do the same just very busy at the moment. https://ve9cf.com/blog/what-canparks-taught-me-about-amateur-radio-parks-and-community/
ReplyDeleteMike
VE9KK
Thanks for the link Mike, much appreciated. 73, Bill VE3FI
Delete