Tuesday, 22 September 2026

2026 Chillycon.....the Rest of the Story...


This was the 20th year we have held Chillycon, and my 17th time I've attended...and this
 year's Chillycon is a wrap.  

It was "cool". Thursday and Friday were great, but Saturday and Sunday morning were sitting at around 4 to 5 degrees, but we had a great time. The park was a lot quieter than it had been in the past few years, less screaming kids, and many empty sites which was a good thing for us. AND.....we had no rain at all.

We had 8 sites occupied and 10 hams there for the week. Saturday saw a pile of guys arrive for the day to operate, and we ended up having 18 for Pizza dinner that night. Don VE3MNE won the SSB DX Trophy with a contact into Namibia, and the CW trophy was won with a contact into Turkey by Tom VA2NW. The bands, however, were really not very good, very noisy and full of RF crashes. I did manage a CW contact into France and a SSB contact into Sweden, but that's all the DX I got in 5 days!!

I managed to do 10 POTA activations, only 1 new one, Hog's Back Park in Ottawa....a really nice place to operate from. I had also planned on operating from the Central Experimental Farm, but there was no parking and the place was a total construction site.

I also managed an activation at the Rideau Migratory Bird Sanctuary in Merrickville. What a change there! The location we used to go to, down the road by the picnic tables, is now fenced off and is being made into a huge dog park. If you go there to activate the only parking is now at the Library. I also activated the Block House NHS and found no issues parking there for a change.

Here's some photo's from the weekend....

My new tent, very comfortable and roomy.


The portable shack for the week.


The most important item....the portable bar!!


Stay Safe Out There!!

No comments:

Post a Comment