Sunday, 4 October 2026

Three Parks, a suit, and a Wedding...

It was 6C (43F) on Sunday morning and I had an outdoor wedding to go to, and the afternoon high was forecast to be 15C (59F). I really wasn't looking forward to going, I'm not a big fan of large, noisy, gatherings....they tend to set off my anxiety disorder, but it was my niece who was getting married, so I was going.

My wife and I were going in separate vehicles as she was spending the night and I was returning home that evening.  It was on my way out the door that I realized that I would be passing by my favourite POTA 3fer, Portland Bay Conservation Area. Hmmm.......could I pull it off?

The propagation numbers didn't look very good at all, and I knew there wouldn't be a lot of time to get the activation done. So off I went.

It takes an hour to get to Portland Bay, it's about half way to my wedding destination. I decided to try 40m as it looked the busiest on cw. The noise floor on 40m was around S6 but you could still hear a few signals getting through.

First up was Max K1SN, in Virginia. The furthest station worked was Tom KG1A in Florida. It took a little over thirty minutes to get the 10 stations in my log, and then it was off to the wedding. That's the first time I've ever done an activation in a suit and tie.....it's probably the last time as well as it was pretty uncomfortable.

I don't recommend telling your XYL you did this, you may get dragged out to more weddings as a punishment............did I mention the next wedding next weekend?

Stay Safe Out There!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment