Monday 12 June 2023

Messing with Antennas...

With the Ottawa - Kingston Bike Tour cancelled last weekend, and having a lot of spare time, I took the time to dig out some of my antenna parts and try an experiment.

The one band I have issues with operating portable is 80m. Most of the spots in and around Kingston are not large enough to string up an 80m dipole.  And those that are large enough are normally far too busy with dog walkers, or kids running around to safely use one.  So what is the answer? Well, I threw some Buddipole parts in the van and headed out to the local park to find out.

I took my Buddipole Versahub and tripod legs, the large Buddipole coil, a 17' MFJ collapsible whip, and two 66' radials.  Using these parts I guessed would allow me to get on both 40m and 80m.  Not that I needed another 40m vertical, but this version does have more metal in the air, so that must be a good thing.

Don, VE3MNE brought out his analyzer and had a look at the 40m variant.  We used two 17' ground radials for this antenna. It looked great right from the start, we but tweaked it a little more and got it closer to a 50 ohm match.  The reactance was sitting at +4 when we finished, so I didn't think we could get any better, so on the air we went.

Bob, VA3RCS, told us it sounded very good on air and to leave it alone, he gave us an S9+ report, so we decided to take his advice and not change things, and then we moved to the 80m version.

The 80m version with two 66' ground radials is not so good.  While the analyzer certainly gave us good numbers, and everything looked really good, our quick QSO with Bob didn't go so well.  After giving us S9+ on 40m, he gave us a S3 on 80m, and told us we were right in his noise floor.  Pretty disappointing, and the bottom line is I'm still searching for a solution to get on 80m in the parks.

Here's a few more pics:

Don VE3MNE in action with the analyzer.


A close up of the large coil and the band clips.

More experiments to come......Stay Safe Out There!

No comments:

Post a Comment